Sunday, February 15, 2015

Our Homes, A Sanctuary


today my daughter is driving to Houston,
to attend the Memorial Service tomorrow for one of her childhood friends.

she will spend considerable time, as will I, with the younger 3 sisters of the deceased woman.

when one is faced with this type of event we often find solace within the walls of our own homes,
so today I'm re-posting something coming from "The Lady's Life," a lovely blog I follow.

these are her words:

SANCTUARY

Today I’m adding another book to the library here at TLL, Dominique Browning’s uplifting narrative about the intimate relationship between ourselves and our homes. Around the House and in the Garden:  A Memoir of Heartbreak, Healing and Home Improvement is one of my favorite books, and the perfect book for a cold February day, and for this day of love. It is about how we care for and sometimes rescue our houses, and how they shelter and sometimes rescue us.

c40c528a01475ba6374f5261297d1412
A sanctuary by definition, is a place of refuge or safety. ”Home,” Ms. Browning says, “is the place where we have the final say about what goes where… what feels comfortable, what is life enhancing… a place that gives us strength to go out and embrace the world.” At one time or another, we all need a sanctuary– someplace to high-tail it from the slings and arrows of daily life.
“You feel you never want to leave this source of enchantment where peace and beauty beckon…this is what you have missed and what, unconsciously, you have been seeking all your life.”  Nancy Lancaster

Home is the place we shower love on our family and friends, and it is a lovely retreat where we can rest, recharge and shower love upon ourselves too. I have lost track of how many copies of this book I have loaned or given as gifts, but it’s the perfect accompaniment to a roaring fire, a bottle of champagne and a favorite cashmere sweater, whether you are heading off to a hideout for the weekend, or you’re already there. 

I felt this was a beautiful way of defining a "home."
& it made me feel the same way.

we should all take the time to reflect,
mostly to reflect on the blessings we have been given,
and all the friends and family who share our lives.

no one knows what will happen tomorrow,
of course, we plan tomorrows...
but, seriously they are gifts.

cherish the moment, cherish today.


 to go to Nina's blog please click  HERE


Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful definition of HOME! I am so sorry for the loss of your daughters friend, so sad, too young!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry about your daughter's friend.

    I thank you for linking me!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THAT is one of MY ALL TIME FAVORITE BOOKS TOO!!!!!!!!!
    SO, sorry ..................for your loss.She was way too young!Did they ever find out the cause?
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Marsha - my little home is definitely going to be my sanctuary these next few days - with the Arctic blast bringing snow, sleet and ice our way as I write. This afternoon's rush hour will probably be more of a crawl, nobody here in the south knows what to do when it snows!!!!

    Meanwhile the daily deal of life goes on, often almost too sad to comprehend such as a death much too soon. My condolences to this family, and all the friends, who will miss this lady. We've had two dear ladies die on our street this winter leaving widowers, all of course older, but still sad to the neighborhood changing so rapidly.

    BTW, I made your gluten-free pear tart and loved it - thanks for sharing the recipe and the Bakers Royale blog, amazing things to bake and the photography is awesome!

    Take care my dear - Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful room, I love the simple linens on the bed. I also love Dominique's books, its high time for another!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post as I try to give my old home soem much needed TLC I couldnt agree more with your post!

    ReplyDelete


Please know how much I value your comments. I read every single one and do hope you will take the time to leave your thoughts. I think InstaGram with the Emojis have taken a lot away from blogging, but I love IG too.